Sunday, July 10, 2022

......searching for something to listen to on the radio.


Yesterday I needed to take a short drive to collect an item from the supermarket. Five minutes out and everything stops. What is it? Roadworks, an accident, a diversion? No problem, I've got a reasonable sound system. Let's see what's on the radio!


Switch on, select FM, set the volume level - all from the comfort of my steering wheel.  I recognise that - Mahler's second. No, this is not a day for jumping off the bridge. I could wait and see what comes next - but for how long? Press search. Phil Collins - easy lover. This is great, it perks me up. I sing along. I am Phil Bailey. But then it finishes and there is some rap song coming out of four corners of the car. No thanks. Press search. A very serious and committed woman is telling me about teething problems with one-year-olds. She has a pleasant upper-middle-class style. Definitely a mid-thirties version of Joan Bakewell. Interesting, but this content will probably not be of any value to me - I had better move on. A discussion. What are they talking about? Brexit? No, but something about trading in Europe and Russia. Press. Sade, you have saved my life. I cannot see any diamond lights but I reckon I am a smooth operator.


The traffic moves on. 





No comments:

Post a Comment